Mischievous puppy Molly was as sick as a dog after she swallowed her owner’s SOCKS.
The ten-month-old Bernedoodle was rushed to the vet when she started retching and refusing to eat.
An X-ray showed a “large bundle of foreign materials” in her stomach.
Vets decided to operate and were stunned when they pulled out three chewed socks.
After a brief stay at the vet following last month’s procedure, Molly was sent home and is expecting to make a full recovery.
Relieved owner Kerrylee Hempenstall, 50, from Ballybrack in Dublin, said: “We realized
something was wrong when Molly started to vomit and become very quiet.
“We were very shocked, though, to learn it was because she had eaten three socks.
“She’s now back to her bubbly self.”
Kerrylee took Molly to Linnaeus-owned Primrose Hill Veterinary Hospital in Sallynoggin, County Dublin.
Vet Katie Dwan said it was one of the most bizarre cases the clinic has handled and made more tricky as the socks were all spread apart in Molly’s gut.
She said: “We X-rayed Molly to see if there was a foreign body causing her symptoms and, although we couldn’t see anything, she did have a gas pattern in her abdomen which indicated there was a blockage.
“I performed an exploratory laparotomy to identify and retrieve the foreign body blocking Molly’s digestive tract and quickly realized Molly had swallowed three socks.
“The tricky thing was that all three were in different areas of her digestive tract with two of them intertwined in a linear fashion in the proximal duodenum (first part of small intestines).
“This made the surgery slightly more complicated than we originally anticipated, with two procedures required – a gastrotomy and an enterotomy – for the socks to be safely removed.
“Molly recovered in the hospital’s emergency care ward but was bouncing around the practice again by the second day after surgery, looking for more things she could eat and she’s now happily back at home.”
Produced in association with SWNS Talker
“What’s the latest with Florida Man?”
Get news, handpicked just for you, in your box.