METROPOLITAN CITY OF TURIN, Italy — Juventus midfielder Paul Pogba has tested positive in his B sample and is likely to be banned for between two and four years if found guilty of doping. The Team is pondering on way forward without him.
Pogba, 30, was tentatively suspended last month after his previous sample indicated high amounts of testosterone in his body system.
The France international was identified for random testing after Juventus’ 3-0 win at Udinese on 20 August, when he had been an unused substitute. His B sample was then tested.
Pogba has been on an indefinite suspension since August, with each party anticipating the outcome of analysis on a second sample. That has also come back positive, but not for testosterone, implying that some big decisions now has to be made on the 30-year-old’s soccer future. Paul Pogba is under contract with Juventus through to the summer of 2025.
In the event he is found guilty of doping, he could be banned for a period of between two and four years.
Paul Pogba, who will be turning 31 in July, made only 10 appearances last season since he had an injury and missed considerable chunks of the season just before – his last with Manchester United – due to hamstring and calf problems. He went back to Juventus on a free transfer in July 2022.
“What is certain is that Paul Pogba never wanted to break a rule,” said the France World Cup winner’s agent, Rafaela Pimenta after the first suspension.
“I am not aware of the result of the B sample test. “I didn’t know, I found out now,” he told a press conference before Saturday’s home game against Torino. “Let’s wait. Humanly, I feel sorry for Paul,” said the Juventus coach, Massimiliano Allegri on Friday.
Pogba committed to that deal while going back to the club as a free agent in 2022 – with the World Cup winner resuming to Turin for a second spell after six years at Manchester United.
It is indicated that Pogba is working on a €7 million (£6m/$7m) annual salary, though that agreement could be withdrawn if he is found guilty of doping offences at a sporting trial tribunal and handed a lengthy ban of up to four years.
However, Italy’s national anti-doping tribunal head, Nado Italia, has not commented on Pogba’s case, citing privacy legislations.
Edited by Judy J. Rotich and Newsdesk Manager
“What’s the latest with Florida Man?”
Get news, handpicked just for you, in your box.