Former President Donald Trump reportedly conceded his loss in the 2020 election in a private meeting with Gen. Mark Milley, stating that a national security issue would be left for “the next guy,” according to an indictment by special counsel Jack Smith.
In the days leading up to Jan. 6, Trump acknowledged to Milley and another unnamed advisor that his time in office was coming to an end,” Business Insider reported.
“Yeah, you’re right, it’s too late for us,” said Trump. “We’re going to give that to the next guy.”
This meeting is a significant part of Smith’s indictment of Trump for his actions before and during the Capitol riot.
Milley had counseled Trump against taking action, citing the proximity of Inauguration Day, which was only 17 days away.
“Milley had advised Trump not to take action since Inauguration Day was just 17 days away. The Electoral College had already met in state capitals around the country, declaring Biden the winner. All that remained was the largely ceremonial certification of Biden’s victory when lawmakers read and tallied the Electoral College votes on January 6,” said the Busines Insider Africa.
Milley and Trump have been in frequent conflict. The top-ranking military officer in the country expressed concern about a potential “Reichstag moment” during Trump’s last days in office.
This revelation adds to the growing body of evidence suggesting that Trump who is also an author was aware he lost the election while simultaneously promoting a widespread campaign to overturn its results.
This is the third time Trump faces criminal charges, a first for any U.S. President. The charges include conspiracy to defraud the United States, two counts of Tampering with a witness, victim, or informant, and conspiracy against the rights of citizens.
© 2023 Zenger News.com. Zenger News does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.
Produced in association with Benzinga
Edited by Judy J. Rotich and Newsdesk Manager