HALESOWEN, England — The parents of a newborn baby who died during cardiac arrest have thrown their support behind a new book aimed at teaching parents CPR.
The parents of a newborn baby who died during cardiac arrest are supporting a book aimed at teaching parents CPR.
“Noah Swales died at just three days old after doctors failed to detect bacterial meningitis after routine blood samples,” said the parents.
Parents Dan and Vicky rushed him to the hospital after he refused to eat and began turning blue.
But on the way, they noticed Noah wasn’t breathing and pulled over in a supermarket car park to perform CPR.
“I started performing CPR on Noah in the front seat until the ambulance arrived. He was unresponsive,” said RAF medic Dan, 37, from Halesowen, England.
“I’ve had to do CPR on children before as part of my job but this was personal. He was my special boy.”
A carer from a nearby retirement home assisted until an ambulance arrived shortly after.
But despite their best efforts, Noah passed away in his mother’s arms several hours later.
“It’s important that everyone knows how to correctly perform CPR on people of all ages, as it varies vastly between an adult, child, and a baby,” said Dan.
In tribute to him, a defibrillator was installed at the care home, along with a dedicated plaque in his memory.
Dan and Vicky, aged 37, have raised more than £35,000 ($45,000 USD) for charity since Noah’s tragic death in 2017.
Dan said: “One way we can continue to remember Noah is through raising money for charity and raising awareness of baby CPR.”
Pippa Jones, aged 53, from Bath, saved her 11-month-old son Luke by administering CPR after he fell in the bath.
“My boy would not be alive had she not known the lifesaving technique,” said Pippa
She said: “It was one of the scariest moments in my life. Your brain goes into panic, and you feel like the world is crumbling down around you.
“I’m so lucky to have known how to deliver CPR to different ages, as I know it’s something some parents lack knowledge of.
“I now have a healthy 26-year-old son and baby CPR was crucial to that.”
“It is something I am so grateful for learning and hope everyone has the opportunity to do the same.”
“I know for an absolute fact that Luke would be dead if I hadn’t known CPR.”
To help raise awareness of the issue, Resuscitation Council UK (RCUK) has produced a book, called Aaron’s Heart, among other books to help parents and caregivers learn the basics of CPR for babies and children.
It comes after a study found more than a third of new parents wouldn’t feel confident performing CPR.
A survey of 1,000 parents and caregivers with children aged up to six, found just 15% would know if their child was in cardiac arrest.
As a result, 89% would welcome more help and information on baby and child CPR.
“Cardiac arrest in babies and children is not common,” said James Cant, CEO at RCUK.
“But it can happen, for example through drowning or swallowing a small item, like a button battery.
“So it’s still crucial for parents, caregivers, and anyone who interacts with children to know what to do in an emergency and help save a child’s life.”
There was widespread confusion as to how often a defibrillator is needed for kids.
The fact is that it is rarely needed. But 23% said it was often required and 9% said it was always used.
The research by OnePoll found two-thirds rely heavily on books to help them in the first few months of parenthood.
But 46% are unaware of sources that give them information on what to do if their child was choking.
Cardiac arrest in children will usually be as a result of a severe medical illness such as sepsis, or asthma.
It is less often the result of injury, trauma or an accident such as ingesting a button battery leading to choking, drowning and burns.
When it came to their child’s safety, 62% worried most about knowing what to do if their child was unresponsive in a life-threatening emergency.
But just 27% are confident enough to recognize when they would need to get medical advice.
And only 34% of parents have warned their children about the dangers of drowning.
James Cant added: “The book not only teaches you how to react in the first few critical moments of cardiac arrest in a baby or child, but also deals with information to reduce the risks of accidents, injuries, and trauma in children, which are the most common cause of a cardiac arrest.
“You’ll also discover what to do if you suspect a child is seriously unwell, and what the signs of cardiac arrest in children are.
“We’ve made this book free, so that as many parents and caregivers as possible have the confidence to know what to do in an emergency.”
Produced in association with SWNS Talker
Edited by Judy J. Rotich and Newsdesk Manager
“What’s the latest with Florida Man?”
Get news, handpicked just for you, in your box.