The footage was obtained from the 92nd Mechanized Brigade of the Ukrainian Ground Forces on Sunday, July 31.
Ukrainian Forces Take Out Two Russian Howitzers In Kharkiv Region
This footage shows Ukrainian forces taking out two Russian howitzers in the Kharkiv region.
The footage shows Ukrainian artillery taking out Russian self-propelled howitzers. It was obtained from the 92nd Mechanized Brigade of the Ukrainian Ground Forces on Sunday, July 31, along with a short statement saying: “Are we ready to hold Kharkiv Oblast? Ready! The fight continues!”
The images and statement were also relayed by the Office of Strategic Communications (StratCom) of the Armed Forces of Ukraine on Monday, August 1, along with a statement saying that the 92nd Mechanized Brigade “reminded the Russian occupiers that Kharkiv region is Ukraine.”
It added: “This time the orcs did not add up to two self-propelled guns. Believe in the Armed Forces of Ukraine! Ukraine will win!”
Ukraine forces regularly refer to Russian troops as “orcs.”
Ukrainian media reported that the two self-propelled howitzers that were destroyed were 2S3 Akatsiyas.
Zenger News contacted the 92nd Mechanized Brigade for further comment, as well as the Russian Ministry of Defense, but had not received a reply at the time of writing.
Russia invaded Ukraine on February 24 in what the Kremlin is calling a “special military operation”. Monday marks the 159th day of the invasion.
The General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine reported that between February 24 and August 1, Russia had lost about 41,030 personnel, 1,768 tanks, 4,011 armored combat vehicles, 932 artillery units, 259 multiple launch rocket systems, 117 air defense systems, 223 warplanes, 190 helicopters, 736 drones, 174 cruise missiles, 15 warships, 2,912 motor vehicles and fuel tankers, and 82 units of special equipment.
Russia has claimed that its casualties have been much lower, but provides infrequent updates on its latest figures.
Vadym Skibitsky, Ukraine’s deputy head of military intelligence, has said that Russia is moving large numbers of soldiers to the south of the country in a bid to take up defensive positions ahead of an expected Ukrainian counteroffensive to retake territory occupied by Russian forces since the beginning of the invasion.
Skibitsky said: “They are increasing their troop numbers, preparing for our counteroffensive [in southern Ukraine] and perhaps preparing to launch an offensive of their own.”
Ukraine’s Ministry for Reintegration of the Temporary Occupied Territories has urged hundreds of thousands of civilians to evacuate frontline areas of the eastern Ukrainian region of Donetsk.
The ministry said: “They need to be evacuated, you cannot put them in mortal danger in the winter without heating, light, without the ability to keep them warm.”
The southern Ukrainian port city of Mykolaiv was hit by Russian strikes early on Sunday morning in what Ukraine’s President Volodymyr Zelensky has described as “probably the most brutal” attack on the city since the beginning of the war.
Mykolaiv Mayor Oleksandr Senkevych also said that the missile strikes were probably the heaviest Russian bombardments of the city so far.
One of the richest men in Ukraine, Oleksiy Vadatursky, 74, along with his wife Raisa, were killed when a missile hit their home in Mykolaiv. Vadatursky, who had received the “Hero of Ukraine” award, owned Nibulon, a company that is involved in exporting grain and was reportedly worth $450 million in 2020, according to Forbes.
The first ship carrying grain has left the Ukrainian port of Odesa as part of a landmark deal between Ukraine and Russia and overseen by Turkey and the United Nations.
The Joint Coordination Center (JCC) in Istanbul, which was established as part of the deal, said the ship was carrying approximately 26,000 tons of corn and is expected to arrive in Turkish waters on Tuesday for inspection.