Artillery Strikes Take Out Russian Military Equipment Site
A site holding Russian military equipment was reportedly rocked by a series of explosions following artillery strikes by Ukrainian forces.
Zenger News obtained the footage from the elite Ukrainian Air Assault Forces (DShV) – responsible for air assaults and military parachuting operations – on June 30.
The footage starts with several plumes of smoke appearing in quick succession in and around the site and ends with a fire raging as a thick, black cloud rises.
The DShV said: “The occupiers suffer another loss: DShV and Ukrainian Ground Forces artillery once again ‘covered’ an area of ​​concentration of enemy equipment.
“As previously reported, the enemy suffered casualties during the destruction of weapons and military equipment in an area of concentration. However, units of the Armed Forces of Ukraine do not give the aggressor time to rest.
“After reconnaissance operations, artillery units of the Air Assault Forces and the Ground Forces of the Armed Forces of Ukraine started a fire on a base of concentration and maintenance of enemy military equipment.
“We continue to perform combat missions and destroy the enemies of Ukraine!
“Death to the Russian occupiers! Together to victory! Glory to Ukraine!”
The DShV did not specify where in Ukraine the strikes took place.
We contacted the Ukrainian Air Assault Forces for further comment, as well as the Russian Defense Ministry, but haven’t received a reply at the time of writing.
Russia invaded Ukraine on February 24 in what the Kremlin is still calling a “special military operation.” June 30 marks the 127th day of the invasion.
The General Staff of the Armed Forces of Ukraine reported that between February 24 and June 30, Russia had lost about 35,600 personnel, 1,573 tanks, 3,726 armored combat vehicles, 790 artillery units, 246 multiple launch rocket systems, 104 air defense systems, 217 warplanes, 185 helicopters, 641 drones, 143 cruise missiles, 14 warships, 2,602 motor vehicles and fuel tankers, and 61 units of special equipment.
NATO leaders have called Russia “the most significant and direct threat to allies’ security and stability,” and announced a new “strategic concept” in response to Russian President Vladimir Putin’s ongoing invasion of Ukraine. NATO is planning to boost its quick reaction forces from 40,000 troops to over 300,000 troops.
President Joe Biden announced that the United States will increase its military forces across Europe.
NATO has also formally invited Sweden and Finland to become members of the alliance. The move comes after Turkey agreed to support Finland and Sweden’s NATO membership.
Turkey had initially opposed the countries’ bids to join the military alliance, accusing both of harboring Kurdish militants.
But Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan met with Finland’s President Sauli Niinisto and Swedish Prime Minister Magdalena Andersson at the NATO summit in Madrid and the three countries reached an agreement.
Jens Stoltenberg, the NATO Secretary-General, said: “I am pleased to announce that we now have an agreement that paves the way for Finland and Sweden to join NATO.” NATO leaders have also pledged additional support to Kyiv, with the aim of modernizing Ukraine’s defense sector.
President Biden congratulated the three countries, saying: “Congratulations to Finland, Sweden, and Turkey on signing a trilateral memorandum – a crucial step towards a NATO invite to Finland and Sweden, which will strengthen our Alliance and bolster our collective security – and a great way to begin the Summit.”
Putin said: “If Finland and Sweden wish to, they can join. That’s up to them. They can join whatever they want.”
But he added: “If military contingents and military infrastructure were deployed there, we would be obliged to respond symmetrically and raise the same threats for those territories where threats have arisen for us.”
The Russian missile strike on a shopping mall in the central Ukrainian city of Kremenchuk has been described by Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy as one of the “most brazen terrorist acts in European history.” Over 1,000 people are said to have been inside the building when it was hit by missiles. Eighteen people have so far been confirmed dead.
Speaking about the strike on the crowded shopping mall, Putin claimed: “Our army does not attack any civilian infrastructure site. We have every capability of knowing what is situated where.”
Russia claimed on Tuesday, June 28 that it had hit a nearby weapons depot, with the explosion sparking the shopping mall blaze.
Zelenskyy has urged the United Nations to visit the site and has demanded that Russia be expelled as a permanent member of the UN Security Council, accusing the country of having become a “terrorist state.”
Ukraine has said that it has completed the biggest prisoner exchange with Russia since the beginning of the war, with 144 of its soldiers released. They include 95 soldiers who defended the Azovstal steelworks in Mariupol.